Redemptive History Unfolds…and CNN doesn’t note it! – by Timothy C. Tennent

Monday, June 13th, 2011

I have always been intrigued by the disconnect between the redemptive and the ordinary perspective on time and events.  If you open the paper today you will find endless discussions about Weinergate (Anthony Weiner, that is), the 62 trillion dollar US deficit, the NFL lockout, musings about whether Sarah Palin will throw her hat in the ring, the excitement around Apple’s iCloud, and the list goes on.  However, most of this will be quickly forgotten and very little of it, if any, resonates with the great unfolding story of God’s redemption of the world – the missio dei.

Today, for example, an amazing event is taking place in the middle of Tanzania among the Wasi people.  The gospel is being preached in the Chasi language for the first time.  My daughter is a part of a team of ten people who are serving in the middle of rural Tanzania.  They have spent most of the last year doing language learning and, after many months, finally had their first Christian worship service.   However, the sermons were always in English or Swahili because no one had the facility in the language to preach a full sermon in the Chasi language.  That important line has now been crossed.  I am particularly proud because our daughter Bethany was chosen to bring that first sermon in the Chasi language.  So, today, in the middle of rural Tanzania, in a village with no running water or electricity and, certainly no CNN reporters, something happened which won’t make the news.  It seems so “unimportant” in light of the latest Lindsay Lohan scandal or the public humiliation of Arnold Schwarzenegger.  But, from the perspective of redemptive history, something really amazing happened today.   It will be remembered even into eternity.  Today, on June 12, 2011 the gospel was publically announced among the Wasi for the first time.

How much of our lives, deeds, reading and reflection are really oriented towards the great redemptive events which are unfolding in the world?  I am praying that I might be more discerning and, by God’s grace, begin to notice the great redemptive events which are unfolding all around us – and they won’t be picked up on by CNN.

Comments

• James Gibson says:

All the more amazing that it should happen on the Day of Pentecost. “We hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God” (Acts 2:11).

• Mark Haines says:

Thank you for spreading this history changing news. This is the kind of news that is eternal. You’ve revived my spirit. Thanks again.

• David Reimer says:

This is one of those posts that you really want to comment on … even though there are no adequate words. Simply rejoicing with you, and giving thanks!

• ” I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”
    (John 17:26)

You are right, this event might not make it to CNN right now, but I have faith that, in the long run, it will make an everlasting impact. God keep blessing you, your daughter, and the team she is working with in Tanzania.

• Holly Simons says:

How I love His promise that His Word will not return to Him void….. “His Story” was made and proclaimed this day, and His eternal Kingdom will flourish because of it. May God continue to bless Bethany and her team in this endeavor, and may souls be added to our number as His Word goes forth in Tanzania….

• Elizabeth says:

That’s the kind of news I like to read! Thank you so much for sharing.

• They say in the world it is bad news that make the news and of course sells. What Bethany and her team carries is good news and except CNN begins to carry good-news, we should not be bother that it did not make their “news”.

• Donna says:

We all need to be reminded of this: a redemptive perspective on the news. As a missionary mom whose son served in Tanzania, I am rejoicing with you at today’s Good News and Bethany’s participation! Bwana Asifiwe…The Lord is to be praised!

• Wow what great news that one people group in Africa hearing gospel in their own language. I can understand every hard work Bethany had done (doing) last one year. It is not easy to learn a foreign language. My prayers are always wit her. In the second coming this news will be broadcast and whole universe will listen to it. Still more languages need to get gospel

• Janni Martin says:

That is so wonderful!! I’ll bet the buttons are popping off your suit jacket – you must be so proud!! God bless her!!!

• John says:

“CNN” does not stand for “Christian News Network”, unfortunately, but rather “Communist News Network”. It’s business is to promote the “money kings”, not the “King of Kings”! and, as you well know, “you cannot serve both God, and mammon”.