11 Ways Popular Culture Steals Biblical Ideas

Friday, July 11th, 2014

Over the last fifty years, the Western church across Europe and North America has been losing between 7,500 and 11,000 members per day. It is a collective loss of over 100 million Christians. These staggering losses have been offset some by the dramatic growth of the immigrant churches in the West. But, we are clearly entering into a period known as the “post-Christian west.” Over time this has resulted in the steady loss of a Christian consciousness in Western culture.

One of the ways this can be observed has been the precipitous decline in biblical vocabulary. Oh, don’t get me wrong, many of the words are still being used, but the meaning of the words has taken a sharp departure from the actual biblical meaning. The Church has been particularly susceptible to this. Thus, I thought it would be interesting to devote a piece to posting the “current” understanding of a few words and placing them side by side with the “biblical” understanding of the same word.

Here are a few examples:

1) Love (pop culture) – An emotive feeling someone has towards another person or towards God.

Love (biblical) – A covenantal commitment to live and act in fidelity, loyalty and faithfulness.

2) Judgment (pop culture) – An “out of control” act caused by anger and usually fueled by partisan ideas. (This is closely related to the use of the word “judgmental” which has taken on a universally negative association as one who has a bad attitude towards someone.)

Judgment (biblical) – God acting in holy-love to set things right, restore justice and establish peace in conformity with His reign and rule.

3) Marriage (pop culture) – A relationship of convenience between any two people for the sake of personal happiness and sexual fulfillment.

Marriage (biblical) – A divinely ordained life-time relationship between one man and one woman of covenantal, self-donating love, which overflows in becoming co-creators with God through the fruitfulness of child bearing, reflecting the beauty of the Triune God.

Read the full article at Seedbed.

Comments

• Dan Owsley says:

Pastorally, then, it seems we pastors need to bring the flock continually to the Scriptural meaning, and not assume that those who enter church fellowship will know these definitions. However, should I assume that any true believer, even those very young in the faith, will be open to learning and submitting to the Scriptural teaching?

• Tony says:

I think thats a good idea dan

• Terry Powell says:

If you aren’t familiar with what Jim Putman calls the “phrase from the phase”, then I’d recommend one of his books (‘Building Churches That Make Disciples: Real-life Discipleship’ is good). I believe Putman’s stages of spiritual growth model is worth consideration as churches attempt to help their members grow into mature Christ-followers who can do the works God has prepared in advance.

• Simon says:

My 2 cents:

Marriage (Traditional Christianity) – a sacramental union between man and woman, which reflects the union between Christ and the Church. Because this is a real (ontological) union, joined together by God, man cannot tear it apart. The first assault on Christian marriage came at the Reformation when holy matrimony was no longer considered sacramental. The sanctity of marriage has been in steady decline since.

• I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
    post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger
    if you are not already 😉 Cheers!

• Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Very descriptive blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

• tinyurl.com says:

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually one
    thing that I think I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I am taking a look ahead in your subsequent publish, I’ll attempt
    to get the hold of it!

• Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

• tinyurl.com says:

Thanks to my father who shared with me regarding this weblog, this webpage is
    in fact remarkable.

• hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly picked up anything
    new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, since I experienced
    to reload the site a lot of times previous to I could
    get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will
    sometimes affect your placement in google and could
    damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective
    exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon.